Gmail is really a powerful email service despite the fact that it is slow at times. It has lot of features like labeling your messages, viewing your conversations as threads instead of individual email and a nice big storage space, which is lately common with all email service providers. In this entry I am going to explain how can you utilize the POP3 service within your gmail inbox. Undoubtedly you can configure your gmail account into your outlook express or any desktop or mobile mail client , but did you know that you can add your XYZ pop3 account into your shiney gmail account ?
Yes, it is fact and its been here since long now. Its just that some of us are still unaware of it and as a result have to ponder around into different inboxes sorting out emails and stuff. With this pop3 access service of gmail you can make your Gmail inbox as a universal inbox. Gmail allows you to add 5 other pop3 accounts into your current inbox, through which you can receive email and you can also send outgoing emails using the same Inbox if Gmail.
Lets start with the following steps :
1) Login into your inbox and click settings on the top right corner.
2) Click on the Accounts on the second tab of the submenu.
3) There you will see an option to Add a mail account you own, clicking this link opens a popup window and starts the configuration wizard.
Steps to configure your Godaddy or any other pop3 account in gmail
Step 1 : Please enter the email address which you want to add, it also works as the account or display name and hit Next Step
Step 2 : Please enter the details as show in the screen shot, remember to input username as firstname.lastname@example.org, because godaddy recommends that and otherwise it wont authenticate. Enter your password, assign a label if you want to use from the old ones or create a new label from the drop down.
Pop3 Server for godaddy’s account is pop.secureserver.net , it may be different for you if you are on different host.
Step 3 : If you have inputted the right credentials and pop3 server address then you are good to receive emails into your Gmail Mailbox after you hit Add Account button as shown in the above screen. In the next step the wizard is going to ask you to configure outgoing mail server, if you wish to setup one. For Godaddy’s hosting please use the following configuration :
Outgoing Mail Server: smtpout.secureserver.net
Outgoing Mail Server: Requires Authentication (Use the same username and password as the incoming mail server).
Outgoing Mail Server Port: 25, 80, 587, or 3535. (choose anyone)
Now the wizard will send a confirmation email into your inbox, please use the Godaddy’s hosting panel to access your mail and get the confirmation code. After you provide the confirmation code to the wizard then you can also send outgoing emails from your pop3 account using Gmail Inbox, as shown in the picture below.
So this how you setup your pop3 mailbox account into Gmail Mailbox.
Why Should I setup pop3 in Gmail
- One Mailbox to attend all your emails, like a universal mailbox.
- Its secure, fast and easily accessible.
- You down have to open multiple mailboxes everytime and hence do not have to enter multiple passwords.
- Useful for the mobile which support only one pop3 account setup, they can setup upto 5 accounts Gmail and configure gmail mailbox into your mobile device to receive emails from all your addresses or aliases.
What are the other alternatives
- Sweet and Simple, configure everything on outlook express.
- Configure pop3 mailbox on your mobile handset.
- Put a forwarder using your cpanel and simply forward emails to your gmail address, but that doesn’t allow outgoing emails.
Hope this explains everything clearly, Leave a comment if you like this post.
Stay Digified !!